Garbage and Trash
Garbage/trash is collected weekly on Thursday morning, unless there is a major holiday which will move collection to Friday. If a major holiday falls on a weekend, trash/ recycling pickup will still be on normal schedule. Major holidays are New Years, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas. The collector is TRI-COUNTY INDUSTRIES, INC. 724-748-4705.
ALL ITEMS must be at the curb or street line by 10:00 PM Wednesday before collection day. NO item is to be placed at the curb before 4:00 PM on the day before collection and all containers shall be removed from the curbside by 6:00 PM on the day of collection. Any refuse not placed at the curb will not be collected.
Each household has been issued a brown 95-gallon refuse tote. Refuse collection will continue to be Thursday and you should place your refuse cart no further than 4 feet from the roadway with the wheels facing your house. Please make sure the refuse cart is not obstructed by fixed objects such as trees, shrubs or mailboxes. Please leave at least 2 feet between the refuse and recycling carts.
Each household has previously been issued a blue 95-gallon recycle tote. Recycle collection has been changed to every other week on Thursday. The recycle cart should be placed at the curb on Wednesday evening by 10:00 PM and please leave at least 2 feet between the refuse cart and the recycle cart.
Refuse in excess of the brown 95-gallon refuse cart will require a ‘sticker’ to be placed on the bag(s) for collection. Stickers for excess refuse are $5.00 each and available at the Borough office or by contacting TRI-COUNTY directly.
Preparation of Garbage
All garbage, before being placed into containers for collection, shall have drained from it all free liquid. Garbage and loose paper, such as waste basket material, shall be contained in trash bags and not loose in the cans. The separation of combustible and non-combustible garbage will not be required. Garbage not confined within containers will not be collected unless a trash tag is adhered to the bag.
The following items are NOT acceptable for Trash Collection:
- Tires, car parts or car batteries
- Hot ashes or embers
- Dead animals
- Steel drums (any size)
- Propane or gas cylinders
- Any type of liquids
- Liquid paint – must be dry or in solid form before placing in trash
- Hazardous waste including: poisons, fuel, paint solvents, oil, antifreeze, pesticides, herbicides, and medical waste including ALL hypodermic needles.
- Untied bushes or branches
- Sod, dirt, rock or bricks
- Un-bagged animal feces
- Florescent light bulbs
- Universal Wastes (electronics, batteries, and fluorescent lights) There are special recycling programs with Lawrence County throughout the year. Click on the link for further information.
Household waste products must be scheduled for pickup with Tri-County. Click the link for information on contact, acceptable items, and unacceptable items. HHW Flyer
Small amounts such as clippings or sweepings should be placed in refuse tote. Yard waste put into recycling cans WILL NOT be picked up.
Bulk Item Collection
Bulk items will not be collected during normal weekly refuse collection. Bulk items will be collected during the annual Spring Clean Up or you can make other arrangements by contacting TRI-COUNTY directly.
BULK TRASH PICK-UP is for RESIDENTIAL properties only
The Borough has contracted with TRI-COUNTY INDUSTRIES to provide a Borough wide residential clean up of trash and debris. Residents must follow the guidelines listed below:
Items must be placed at the front street or curb lines of each residential unit no earlier than 5:00 PM on the evening before and not later than 6:00 AM on the day of collection. All items not accepted for collection must be removed immediately.
Collection shall include no commercial construction debris. No items shall be over 5 feet in length, except furniture.
Do NOT place the following out for collection.
- Sod – bricks – liquids or hazardous waste – tires – rims – batteries
- Limbs shall be no more than 3 inches in diameter and 4 feet in length.
- No large appliances will be collected. Arrangements may be made for removal by contacting TRI-COUNTY INDUSTRIES at 724-748-4705 and will include a fee.
- No outside materials shall be brought into the borough for collection
ALL ITEMS ARE TO BE BAGGED OR BOXED FOR EASE OF COLLECTION. No loose items.
Items cannot be collected that do not have a tag stating “Freon” has been removed. (ex. air conditioners, dehumidifiers)
Other items that CAN be recycled:
- Office & school paper
- Brown grocery paper bags
- Phone books
- Newspaper & insert
- Junk mail & envelope
- #1 PETE – clear containers (water & soda)
- #2 HDPE – colored containers (milk & juice)
- #3 V Vinyl – PVC
- #4 LPDE 0 – film, dry cleaning, bread bags
- #5 PP – Catsup, yogurt & medicine containers
- #6 PS – CD case, plastic cutlery
- #7 Other – grocery
Aluminum, Tin and Bi-metals
May be placed in the recycling bin but is repurposed, NOT recycled.